I am dedicated to improving access to editing for everyone, including and especially disabled and marginalized people, first-time authors, and people who might not be able to afford my services. To that end, I would like to highlight a few free and low-cost resources for writers (and anyone who’s interested). Take note that none of these are meant as a cure-all: the best way to improve your writing is to write more, to read widely, and to get feedback from others in the industry.
- The free Library Extension for browsers adds a box to online book markets that shows whether a book is in stock at your local library.
- Vonna Carter’s frequently-updated list of conferences for Editors and Art Directors, Literary Agents, and Indie Publishers. She also maintains lists of Writing Retreats, Online Writing Classes, and workshops specifically for Young Writers.
- You may also wish to attend the Association of Writers and Writing Programs’ (AWP’s) Conference.
- If you want an agent, you can learn a lot about writing query letters from the Query Shark blog.
- Katharine O’Moore-Klopf’s aptly-titled Copyeditors’ Knowledge Base.
- If you haven’t already encountered anything similar, it may be worthwhile to read books on the craft of writing and editing. Not everything in these books will be relevant to you and your style, but you may find something useful to you. Some of the most commonly recommended of these are on my bookshelf here. I’d also recommend generally to think about who your favorite authors are, and to seek out their writings on genre and on the drafting process.
- If you are looking for a book cover or making your own, The Book Designer runs a monthly contest where he evaluates cover design submissions. This is a good way for you to become acquainted with different genres, principles of design, and your favored styles, and may also provide a means for you to get in contact with a book designer or design firm that would do your manuscript justice.
I have not been solicited to link to any of the above resources. If you own any of the above resources and wish them removed for any reason, please let me know.